Junk wires

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Junk wires

Post by Bigdog »

I recently bought some audio cables online from a company I have used before.

The price of the cables was good. And I have used these cables before without problems. I have been having some problems with one of the new ones. :evil:

After testing it at home, I tested the rest of the ordered cables. Every one of them is no good. :evil: :evil: These cables were made in China. :roll: I don't know where the old ones were made before. But I figured they would be the same quality as the ones they sold before. I thought they would last longer than a week. :shock: :lol:

Had I know the new ones were made in China, I would have considered different ones.

Last night I ordered new hand-made cables made in USA. These are not cheap. $50 for 12 feet. I think I'm done with foreign made cables.

One show I do has a DJ 2 nights a week. He leaves his speakers set up. So I hook into his wires because of how/where I set up my speakers. It's at least 100 feet and they are strung in the ceiling. I have to use 3 butt connectors (couplers) to do this. I have Radio Shack couplers ($5 each, not sure where they are made) but I have had problems with the clip light on the amp coming on and the one speaker cutting out. The couplers don't seem to be making proper contact. I just bought 4 new ones 2 weeks ago. :evil: :evil: Thinking new ones would fix the problem.

Again last night I ordered 3 new Monster couplers at $15 each. I hope this will eliminate all my problems.

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

It is very hard for me to say this ... sometimes the less expensive isn't the best. :nonod:
Sabrina the Cat
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Well you're probably going to rib me but I make my own speaker cables.

I use 12 gauge 3 wire outdoor extension cords and good connectors which I hand solder on the ends.

You can get the cords which come in various lengths to fit your need. I buy 50' cords and cut them in half giving me 2 25' cords for about $20 plus the cost of the connectors total runs about $30 for 2 25' cords.

Wire is wire just get a good copper stranded wire of no less than 14 gauge, good connectors and learn to solder.

Oh yea they coil really well and as they are thick skinned so I don't have wear.

Lone Wolf
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I use to do that but I'm getting lazy. :lol:

I do have connectors laying around. I was using the wire to run the video to a TV. They require RCA ends. They are harder to mess around with trying to solder them. They are to hard to hold steady. You have to be an octopus... :lol:

I just contacted the company and they are taking them back and refunding my money plus shipping. 8)
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I learned my lesson about using couplers early on. Aside of the power loss of the multiple connections they tend to lose contact for no apparent reason. I now carry three lengths of speaker cable that I have custom made locally. 30' 12 AWG, 50' 10 AWG, and 100' 8 AWG.

The problem with using standard electric extension cord is that it is not shielded. While this is usually not a problem there can be instances where the cords pick up interference.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have a coax (TV) wire that I ran in the bar. But to run a speaker wire in the ceiling is not an option. First I don't want to spend the money to leave it there. Second, somebody would probably steal it. Too many junkies looking for copper. :shock: The price of quality copper wire has really gone up.

The sound hasn't seemed to suffer with his wire, it's just the cutting out and amp clipping. Getting the good couplers should fix that.

There is too much open floor space to run my wire along the floor. It would be at least a 100 foot run & cross 5 doorways to get there. If I had to use my wire I would need to set the speakers in a different place.