proper cable for pc to tv

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
bazookajoe

proper cable for pc to tv

Post by bazookajoe »

Im a rookie at this and i have a new dell inspiron 1505 i would like to connect to a remote tv (not a HDTV.) I have a midi karaoke program already on the laptop. I have a S Video output jack on the laptop an the tv has the 3 RCA jacks on the front. EBAY sells patch cords for this exact setup claiming they will work for this setup. Is this true or don't they know what they're talking about?

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

you need to get an s-video to rca conveter. You can get one from www.MTU.com or www.radioshack.com should have one. but you gotta get a cable to go with that one as it is female inputs.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you plan on singing through the TV, you will blow out the speakers. They can't take live vocals.
bazookajoe

GETTING VIDEO LAPTOP TO TV

Post by bazookajoe »

I GOT AN ADAPTER CABLE ON EBAY AND TRIED IT. IT IS SVIDEO CABLE OUT OF THE LAPTOP AND HAS MALE RCA ENDS WHICH I PLUGGED INTO THE VIDEO INPUT ON THE TV. I COULD SEE THE LAPTOP SCREEN ON THE TV BUT IT WAS BADLY DISTORTED. fROM THE INPUT IM GETTING PEOPLE ARE SAYING I NEED TO COME OUT OF THE LAPTOP VIA THE SVIDEO INTO AN RF CONVERTER. NEXT AN OUTLET OUT OF THE RF CONVERTER CABLE TO THE TV CABLE CONNECTOR ON THE BACK OF THE TV. ANY COMMENTS OR INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

Hi Joe I have run into this on my HP laptop the problom may be in the display settings. Make sure you have your tv hooked up before you boot, then go to settings/control panel/display/ not sure on the dell but I have a Icon for the Intel video driver, go to display settings/telivision and check what it says for video standard,If it reads pal_g that is your problom. Click the drop down and change it to NTSC_J then click apply should clear up(not sure if you are running duel display or extend desktop) but that setting will work for both. good luck!!
I got away from the laptop and built my own 2U computers,rackmount much less hassel, cordless keyboard & mouse. only have to plug in the LCD moniter!! and your up and running