BigDog's Own Thread

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I just saw your post, Knoxville; anyone is welcome to post in this thread. I had some questions for BigDog and didn't want to hijack another thread. I must say the information BD has shared has been very interesting and helped me to figure out "where he was coming from". :D

I guess I'm just one of those "mommy's" that try to please everyone. I've always considered crowd preference from the (almost) first time I did karaoke. It just makes sense to me. Why would I want to do a song that I know isn't going to be enjoyed? I want honest applause. 8)

I will say, however, that I have learned a lot of new songs. During the 80's and 90's I was listening almost exclusively to Spanish language radio and music. So doing karaoke has allowed me to greatly expand my repetoire. As I hear songs that I like I write them down, buy the CD and start practicing.

You never did answer one of my questions though, BD. How do you know which version/manufacturer is the best unless you buy them? That almost sounds like a waste of money to me. That is why I have stuck to SC as I think they have the best quality overall.

A KJ friend of mine has a satellite radio and he turns it up while the next singer is ambling up to the mic. It's a nice way to not have "dead air". He doesn't let the entire song play ... it's just there until the singer is ready to go then he turns it back down.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

How serious and how much comittment do I have for "my" karaoke business?

My office equipment:

2- $500 HP Color Printers.

3- Desktops-One stictly for disc coping.

1- HP 8560 MFP Phaser color copier.

1 HP all-in one

1-laptop strictly for art work- Ads, Posters, calenders, etc.

1-Laminator- for my bar posters and song book covers.

1-HP mini laptop

And a bunch of other office crap & back up computer hardware on wall to wall desks and shelves.

My "living room" karaoke system. It's almost indentical to my real system.

My old PV 16 channel mixer, reverb, microphones and Yamaha amplifier.

2-15" Yamaha speakers and horns.

2-18" Yamaha subs

1-laptop strictly for karaoke, 3 external drives.

And a bunch of other karaoke crap. :lol:

The mixer box sits on the left side of my recliner and the laptop is on the right. I can sit and sing all night long. 8) The best part is, I know exactly how I will sound out at my jobs.

Money is no object (almost) whenever it involves my business needs. Things that will make me look and sound as professional as possible. Things that set me apart from the rest. I'm not taking a kitten to a cat fight. I'm taking the lion.

Doing "anything" as cheap as I can is not in my mind set. I am willing to pay for quality in anything I buy, business or personal. I work very hard and I'm worth it and deserve it. It's all a direct reflection of me. Nobody can every say I was cheap. I paid my guys $75 a night 10 years ago. Everyone else was paying $30-50. I'm a share the wealth kind of guy.

When I bought my first system (most of which is still in use today 5 nights a week by somebody else) I told the music store owner what I wanted to do. I also told him I wanted to do it right and not have to re-buy stuff later because it was wrong or too small. He started pointing and said you will need this and this and this, until I had the best system in the entire area. When I went back to pick it up and I saw all the stuff piled up next to the door...I was impressed by the amount of boxes :shock: and it was my stuff and it wasn't even put together yet.

$6000 or so was just the music (laser discs $110 each) If I remember right is was around 1500 songs :shock:
$1500 in microphones
$2000 in laser players

I know you won't believe this.....

I designed my unique karaoke business cards. They looked like a compact disc with mirror foil on them. They were round and had a hole in the middle. And I attached them to the letter so it would come off like taking a CD out of the jewel case. 8) 8) 8) Brilliant... :wink:

Sit down now for the price......

the first 1000 business cards cost me $1000. :shock: That was 17 years ago. The guy at the print shop told me I would never have to worry about anybody stealing that idea. The second 1000 were $400 because I didn't have to pay for the set up. Today every KJ wants to use the generic business cards $15 for 1000. How impressive is that? This is no lie. I have seen 3-4 different area hard drive KJs that are using the very same generic card, the only thing different is their name. :lol: That really sticks out from the crowd. :roll:

I mailed out 900 cards in letters to every private club, bar, tavern, bar/restaurant in the 3 inch thick city phone book.

Remember I had a $20,000 loan to pay off. I had plenty of motivation to get jobs. Plus my "goal" was to EQUAL my full time pay as a steelworker.

Switching over from discs to laptops cost me over $8,000 for everything. :shock: 99.9 % of todays working KJs don't have that as their total investment in music and PA system. :lol: To me, it was worth every penny. When I say everything...Everything is backed up with two or more of everything needed to do my computer based show. I won't go home with no pay in my pocket from having a major breakdown. 10 minutes to do a complete computer change over. Unlock the cable laptop lock, Unplug 5 connections, old laptop out. New laptop in, plug in 5 connections...hit the power button. Reload the data base, just to be safe. Ready to show. (go)

2- laptops...not one. $3000
plus hardware & software and guru time and other back up stuff. I designed the rack box to mount everything. ($400)

Do I have a right to be pi$$ed about cheap crap KJs that haven't spent enough to buy 3 of my microphones and 1 laptop????? :twisted:
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I answered you in the thread about the number of songs/selling point. :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

One more thing..

I estimate my total karaoke business investment at well over.....insert drum roll here....

$250,000 :shock:

Come on up to my level.... :wink:

Do I sound cocky or something else?
Sabrina59

BigDog's Own Thread - All Welcome To Post

Post by Sabrina59 »

Okay ... so I missed your post where you answered me. Have I told you I'm going blind? :lol:

That was an excellent idea for your business cards. I agree, they have to stand out, be different. I designed and printed business cards for the bar we frequent. I think they look very nice. I incorporated the logo, which is also on the song books and request slips, put a simple map on the back. I haven't done any for hubby and I yet because we may be leaving the state soon.

Okay, BD ... go get a bottle of your favorite alcholic beverage. I'm going to share with you how hubby and I started and you are going to need it!

Once upon a time in a place far, far away ... oh wait. That's not it. :lol:

Hubby and step-son race motocross; step-son is pro. He connected with a local deli to sponsor him (provide food) at his races. Hubby went in to meet said deli owner and she mentioned she was going to have karaoke there. We kept checking back and finally she said the guy that was going to do it flaked ... so hubby volunteered us to do the show.

All we had was our cheap little home system and about 3,000 songs. I will tell you it was embarassing!! :oops: To make matters worse, I was laid off from my job about a month later (worked for a home builder in California, need I say more?) so we didn't have a lot of extra money to spend on improving the system.

I went shopping on ebay and found a Voco Pro deck for a resonable price, only one disc though, but it was so much better than what we had I went ahead and bought it. About that time the bar we go to upgraded their stuff so we borrowed their old set of wireless mics. We also picked up a sound board.

We came across a box of karaoke CD's at a yardsale for a reasonable price so we bought those. The person also gave us the discs with the zipped files so I could put it on my hard drive. That about doubled our song selection.

We made a deal with the bar for their old speakers, the mics and amp. Hubby made them a custom locking cabinet/rack and we got the equipment. Now we were starting to look and sound much better.

I decided that two mics weren't enough so I found (again on ebay) a set of rechargeable cordless mics so now we have four.

When my oldest son and his family moved out they left an old computer here. So then I started looking for hosting software and found JustKaraoke. Then I decided I needed song book software. When we just had 3,000 songs I was keeping everything on Excel, but I didn't want to type in another 3,000 songs. So now I have Song List Generator.

We have really come a long way since we first started. Could we compete with you, BD? Oh hell no. But I do think we could take our little show to other local venues and be just fine. New folks that come in almost always compliment us on our music selection. Our bar KJ is one of our regulars and he is very picky about where he goes, so that makes me believe our sound must be pretty good as well.

If we do leave the state I don't know if we will look for another KJ job or not. I enjoy hosting the shows so we probably will try to find a family oriented place. I don't think I want to deal with drunks at a show.

So anyway, BD, have you finished that bottle yet, and, most importantly, do ya still wuv me? :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There are KJs that have a drive and determination to provide quality karaoke. That includes the will to improve their show. If you were still years later, using the living room stereo to do karaoke, I would feel differently about you.

There are people that want to make a quick buck, that start out with cheap crap and think that is all they will ever need to make a buck. And when nobody wants to hire them they do it cheap because they still want the money even if it is a small amount. Because they are "KJs."

I am more inclined to respect a KJ that improves and know they need to improve their show.

There are also KJs that don't have a clue.

One speaker KJs???? :roll: Too LAZY to set up the second one?? :lol: Don't give me that crap about the bar being too small. I use a 6 foot table full of equipment and 2-18" subs at every show. Using one speaker shows no respect for your crowds and your business. Their is NO good excuss for it.

Monaural sound reproduction was replaced be stereo in the mid 60s. I have old Monkee albums that are not stereo. My transister radio with one tiny speaker was my biggest friend. But soon one speaker was out and TWO speakers in every radio became the norm. I wouldn't patronise a one speaker show.

I've also seen KJs that have two top speakers and put one up on a stand and try to use the other as a sub by setting it on the floor. :lol: It's still a pig even if it's wearing lipstick. Don't insult the crowd by "making believe" you have a sub because the speaker is on the floor where the "real" sub would be. So they are technically a one speaker KJ using magic to give the "illusion" of being a real KJ. :roll: Get a clue. You know what you need to do but you don't want to. I blame both of these real examples on stupid bar owners. They get what they deserve. Don't hire these imitation (I use the term loosely) KJs. For a few dollars more you could have hired a professional KJ. And got your money's worth.

We are all on a rung of the karaoke ladder somewhere. Some are under the ladder. Some are interested in climbing up and others are falling/jumping off.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

So!! most of us on this forum wouldn't know a good show if it hit us in the face! Then you wonder why we think your a certain male organ!!!!! I would like to know what type of system you run that is so far superior to us lowly peasants! And judging from your posts on this site your personality seems so offensive that I cant believe you have any business!! I have replaced several KJ's with that attitude. I think many would agree that while you do have alot of experiance in the KJ business this forum would be better wihout your nasty,smug comments!!!!! People come here to get information, trade ideas ect. to improve, not get belittled! :wink:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I am in an area that has at least 150-200 KJs (socalled KJs) This in in a 25 mile radious. That includes many (about 99%) one player, one speaker, one speaker on the floor imitation sub, illegal hard drive, cheap sounding shoe box sized speaker, $50 microphone, undercutting, anything goes, hacks that are the reason most people think karaoke is nothing but a bunch of screaming drunks howling out bad versions of songs. Many of which have never experienced good/real karaoke show.

These KJs do nothing to promote karaoke. They care nothing about the survival of karaoke. They do nothing but drive down the price that good KJs can charge for a night of professional entertainment. They are killing karaoke.

If you are getting paid what you think you are worth, then you don't have a bytch. 15 years ago an average DJ could get easily get $3-400 a night. Karaoke has not achieved that pay scale. Much of it is because of what I describe above. Me and my show are easily worth the $3-400 range. But that will never happen because of all the jerk KJs smothering my area. KJs do more work and have more investment than most DJs. The music (CD+Gs) alone costs double. DJs aren't passing around $600 microphones and having them abused.

If you are a KJ that falls into the top 10 percentile, then don't worry about me and what I say. Most of my competition could use a system upgrade. I heard all the criticism about other KJs systems. Their rotations, their small song books, their cheap microphones, their lack of a crowd and their uncanny ability not to keep jobs very long. This includes the small fee they charge. My steady employment record speaks for itself. The quality of my singers speaks for itself. My lack of screaming drunks speaks for itself. My professionalism speaks for itself. NOBODY walks away from my show and complains about any aspect of my sound. Or my unfairness, or my lack of attention. One lady that was new to my show didn't know she was talking to my girlfriend, said to her "Wow these people just love him." :oops: 8)

As far as anyone coming here to get good karaoke information... the internet has many sites filled with good information. I can give good information all day long but there is just one little problem. Most people don't have a clue about good karaoke and they fail to use the information because it usually involves a commitment level they don't really have or it involves spending money they don't want to spend.

I am surrounding by many such perfect example KJs. They have seen my show and my equipment. They know and comment about me being the best KJ around. They all want to be me, they all would love to have 'My" shows (venues) but they won't take the steps to duplicate what I have done. The map is laying right in front of their face with a GPS and they want to go their own direction. CHEAP is leading the way. Guess what, it won't take them to where I am.

I have no fear of any local KJ taking my place. Nobody wants to take the time, dedication and money required to do it. They think it should just come to them "magically." With no real money investment and by wishing they could do it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gee I have a few songs and a boombox, why can't I be like him. :roll:

Asking someone how they would remove a brain tumor and actually doing it is two different things. Asking me how to be a good KJ and the odds of you listening and carrying it out are two different things.

Here is the big secret.....IT TAKES MONEY AND DEDICATION. Not a trip to the junk store, a wish and no plan.

Now tell me how am I steering anybody in the wrong direction? It takes a lot more than most people are willing to do.

I want to be a KJ a cheaply as possible....Ever see or hear anyone on a karaoke forum say those words????? Just about everyday. RIGHT!!???

Sorry to break your little bubble folks.....but in the real world it doesn't happen that way.

If that makes you hate me....so what. :evil: :twisted:

I would rather have someone hate me because I told them EVERYTHING it takes to be a good KJ and do it right, than to become a cheap KJ and screw everything up for the good ones. Crappy competition I don't need, they are running around like cockroaches at a picnic.

The majority of all of our problems comes for the karaoke sales sites that put together crap systems for $300-1000 and tell everyone .....You can be a KJ. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know I guy that did just that. He comes to my shows on a regular basis. He also didn't last too long as a "KJ." He quickly found out he had to spend a lot more money. His entire system costs as much as two of my microphones. :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember seeing the front page ad and the system he bought. Speakers, speaker stands, cables, machine, mixer/amp, 2-microphones and MUSIC...all for only the unbelieveable low price of...$1200 :lol: :lol: I flush that much everytime I sit on the toilet. :oops: :lol: :shock:

That system would work real good in the Barbie Playhouse. In a BARBIE WORLD.

I play in the real world. :shock: He was SUCKERED in to the big lie these places want you to believe.

Has any of your cheap competition gone under??? Where did they disappear and why??? They found out it takes more money and committment that they wanted to spend.

Stop :cry: about me...I'm trying to spread the word about the reality of what it takes to make money being a KJ. MONEY & COMMITTMENT lots of both.

Also don't :cry: to me whenever you don't listen and it doesn't work....I told you so from my experience....not a wild guess.

This has been our lesson for today. Study it very carefully and imprint it in your mind. There will be a test coming shortly. 8) It's not easy being me. But somebody has to do it. :wink: :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Another big problem is people that are taking their information from someone that's really not as good as they think they are. Get your information from somebody walking the walk not someone that's ready to quit or only started half-a$$ed.

The karaoke sales sites are run by people trying to get money from your pocket with a cheap lie. How many lottery tickets actually win?

They sell thousands of these systems (lottery ticket systems) to wannabe KJs with a dream of the big time. I can guess they don't have any actual working KJs putting those so-called systems together. Most are made for kids parties.

Ain't no kids at the bar. :shock: (Usually :lol: ) How good do you think cheap really sounds. :roll:

"GOOD AND CHEAP" IS AN OXYMORON. :lol: They don't fit in the same sentence. Don't be confused by imitation karaoke PA systems. All karaoke systems are not created equal.

Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y costs M-O-N-E-Y. Always has, always will.

I'm not making this up.

I'm laid off, :idea: I think I'll be a KJ. They make easy money and I can party all night long.

You go girl.... :roll:>>>>Scratching off the lottery system ticket<<<<<
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

cowboydarryl wrote:So!! most of us on this forum wouldn't know a good show if it hit us in the face! Then you wonder why we think your a certain male organ!!!!! I would like to know what type of system you run that is so far superior to us lowly peasants! And judging from your posts on this site your personality seems so offensive that I cant believe you have any business!! I have replaced several KJ's with that attitude. I think many would agree that while you do have alot of experiance in the KJ business this forum would be better wihout your nasty,smug comments!!!!! People come here to get information, trade ideas ect. to improve, not get belittled! :wink:
Excellent! Another person posted in this thread!

Darryl, I felt a bit like you do when I first came to this forum. The words that came to mind were arrogant, pretentious, and others that weren't quite so nice. But after being here a while I decided to find out more about BigDog, hence this thread. I have found a man that does seem to have quite a personality underneath that gruff exterior. A man who knows his equipment and is dedicated to have the best show possible. Could he come across a little better? Oh hell yes! :lol:

I don't take his comments personally, even though I could. I expected to be attacked after sharing how hubby and I got started, and the equipment we started with. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't believe he is belittling those of us who do as much as we can to provide quality entertainment; but those who are looking to make a quick buck with inferior equipment. From the passion in your post I don't believe you fall into the latter.

BD has opened my eyes to an entirely different karaoke world. As I've stated before, he comes from a completely different world than I do. Some of his stories are incredibly different than what I have seen and experienced.

I, personally, would miss his presence in this forum. He does share a lot of good information, and starts some very interesting threads. He is a man who has a lot of passion and dedication; all wrapped up in that hard exterior. :P

Now, please don't take this wrong, Darryl. I'm not defending BD; he certainly doesn't need (and probably doesn't want) anyone to do that. I'm just sharing my opinion about the man.

I do appreciate that you posted in this thread. It was never my intention to have this thread just for BD and I.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Bigdog wrote:I am in an area that has at least 150-200 KJs (socalled KJs) This in in a 25 mile radious. That includes many (about 99%) one player, one speaker, one speaker on the floor imitation sub, illegal hard drive, cheap sounding shoe box sized speaker, $50 microphone, undercutting, anything goes, hacks that are the reason most people think karaoke is nothing but a bunch of screaming drunks howling out bad versions of songs. Many of which have never experienced good/real karaoke show.

These KJs do nothing to promote karaoke. They care nothing about the survival of karaoke. They do nothing but drive down the price that good KJs can charge for a night of professional entertainment. They are killing karaoke.
WOW ... just wow! :shock: Based on what you wrote above I can see where your anger may be coming from. Even when we first started out our speakers were quality house speakers, and much bigger than a shoe box! It seems to be a very cut-throat business in your area. I haven't seen that here.

I belong to a karaoke meet-up group that is based out of Sacramento (my "city"). I decided to make a list of all the karaoke venues in the area and post it on the meet-up site. As other members send me more locations I have added to the list. There are 29 so far, and that includes all of the surrounding areas. I am sure there are some venues that are not on the list, so, I'll be generous and say they are probably 50 in this metropolitan area. This is probably a 25-mile radius from the city center.

I am making an educated guess that those who have their own equipment are making $100 - $200 a night. Those who are running someone else's equipment get $50 - $75. There are some venues that have karaoke every night but they usually have different people hosting.

I would be surprised if there were any KJ's in the area that do not have a day job. It couldn't be done based on the above prices and living in this area. Unless, like one person I know, they have multiple systems set up in multiple venues. This person gets $200 a night per show and pays his KJ's $50 ... he's rolling in it!

So why do they host shows? In my naive little mind I think it is because of their love of karaoke. It certainly can't be for the money. And the reason to improve your equipment and keep current songs has to be based on pride and desire to have a good show. Not everyone exhibits these traits.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It may not be where you are...but around here.... karaoke is a very competative and cut-throat business. We scratch and claw for every job. There is much backstabbing going on. If you don't have a good reputation to speak for you, then they resort to this. Maybe why a lot of people can't understand where I'm coming from. How many chances do you get in life to be good? What are you waiting for??

I am absolultely glad that none of my competition "in name only" has seen or taken/used any of my wonderful successful business building advice. 8)

I'm glad they are cheap and I'm glad they do the other stupid things they do. It makes my life a little sweeter. The places I work and the places they work is usually different. They play most of the places I wouldn't play anyway because of the crowd or neighborhood. And they play for less too. Somebody has to do it.

In order for me to be the best...means somebody has to suck. :oops: Can't be two places at once.

I am very confident that I could play a successful nonstop karaoke only show in any part of the country and I would really love to try it.

I face a lot of competition. You may not have that pressure. Without competition or much of it... there is no pressure or need to provide much quality. Or to constantly strive to be better.

Anyone can be a KJ that sucks. That's real easy. Being good is a much harder.

If you already think you are doing alright and you are at a success level you are happy with ....ignore me and everything I say. It's good enough for my competition. :lol: :lol: To ignore that is... :wink:

My views are objective black & white. Not wishy washy inbetween nonsense. I'm a 2 finger typer...no time for anything else.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

No worrys Maaan
I run systems most bands would like to have. I was a karaoke singer before I got in the busness. I too have heard poor Quality systems that was one of my main goals going in,quality! my small set 2-JBL EON15 G2's & 2-JBL JRX118SP subs, medium set 2-QSC HPR153i's & 2-HPR151i subs and the mac daddys 2-Mackie SA1530z's & 2-Yorkville UCS1P subs, and 1-Mackie SWA1801z sub, Yamaha 16 channel mixers, DBX driveracks, 580GB custom built rackmountible computers 17' LCD monitors, wirerless keyboard & mouse and every CDG+G for every song in my books(other than legal downlowds) not to mention lights, smoke machines and ect. So we are not all a bunch of hacks on here!! thats where I took offence!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'll bet you have/know some in the hood...right?

How many are at your level????

This is what I'm talking about, you know them. How many could use an upgrade? Are there many that could give you a run for the money?

Cheap is the majority. Good is way behind.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I can name 29 that aren't in business anymore... :lol: