Which manufacturers have filed lawsuits?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Format shifting wasn't an issue until they discovered it could be done. Then they needed a copyright provision to cover it. They will have to update the law for every new format discovery.

If you could format shift to an orange they would need to update to cover that. It will probably be illegal to shift to an orange until they so it's ok in the law update. :roll:

But it still doesn't matter if Sound Choice said it wasn't an issue with them. It needs to not be an issue with the copyright law...I don't care what SC says is their opinion.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:Their may be some outdated laws on the books somewhere that would seem to make format shifting of recorded music illegal. This really means nothing.

Have you ever been to one of those sites that list ridiculous laws that are still in on the books? In my state there is a law that says I may beat my wife as long as the stick I use is no bigger around than my thumb :lol: Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to take advantage of that law?
I actually thought that one was from the Q'ran???

Over here for example strictly speaking, Football (the real game, not your namby pamby version of Rugby 8) that you call Football) is illegal; Men in England must practise archery every Sunday and in York City it is legal to shoot a Scotsman on sight!!! :shock:

Guess who's not going to York, then? :D

Sandy
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I want a law making it illegal to impersonate a KJ. :shock:

Playing anything but karaoke music at a scheduled karaoke show will be illegal. Making you guilty of impersonating a KJ. :wink:
DJofTexas

Post by DJofTexas »

Geeez. All I wanted was to learn about Karaoke machines and what is the best one to get for home and church camp use for between $300 to $1500, including a boatload of music.

This litigation issue has me wondering if I even want to invest in Karaoke at all, with Big Brother tactics being leveled by Karaoke music providers against customers who change the format of the music.

Even the suggestion to succomb to an audit to prove that you are legal -- what the hell?? What about constitutional rights? Do we have to abdicate them and proffer up what we own so that a Karaoke company is satisfied that we don't owe them any money??? As if relying on their own honesty is a valid thing to do?

Dayumn....

I went to the general forum because I have a very general question. I had no idea I'd be stepping into a hotbed of electronic media debate and a battle between Karaoke music providers and their clientele!
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

They are only targeting computer based KJ's due to the fact that they were never given the permission to format shift their product. They now have taken the stance that they will give the permission as long as you can prove that you own the discs that correspond to the music on your drive. The audit proves to them that you are 1:1 compliant. Once it's done you get a letter stating you have permission to shift their product.