The Gem Series announced!!!!!

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
DanG2006

The Gem Series announced!!!!!

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

So what's the buzz??? How many are lining up to buy?
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

One more big question remains....

Did Sound Choice buy the rights for format shifting from the record producers or publishing companies?

If they didn't, they have no legal right selling the MPG3 versions and telling you, you now have the right to have the songs on your hard drive.

I want to see it in writing before I would spend one nickel on them.

That was what the whole thing was about when this started years ago. They claimed nobody had the right to format shift any music to a hard drive. PERIOD. Where is the legal proof of this now???

SHOW ME.

Anyone?????

COME ON....Let's see it.

Them saying it's so won't cut it. I want it in writing and so should everyone else. You could be wasting your money. And still be illegal. Wanna take the chance???? DO YA???
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Just had a look at the URL from Post #1 and like this quote;

"Unless you have a legally purchased original CDG disc to back up each and every song on your digital systems (referred to as 1:1), you are operating with illegal songs. And possessing of and/or using these illegal tracks leaves you exposed to criminal and civil fines and even jail time"

To me, this carries the very clear implication that Sound Choice are accepting that ripping your OWN discs is NOT illegal.

Shooting themselves in the foot, methinks??? :mrgreen:

Sandy
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Just also had a look at the pricing for these "GEMS".

They are taking the p*** if they think anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together is going to accept paying $2520 for 100 discs ($25.20/disc) without some sort of (and by some sort, I mean very substantial) quantity discount.

Over here, we get Sunfly discs for about £12 (about $16) so $25 (about £18) each in 100 off quantities is taking the urine.

Anyone accepting this rip off, is, IMHO, daft as a brush.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I just bought discs on Monday. Karaoke dot com has some Sound Choice discs 3/ $13.95 each. And they have 15% off the total order. I saved $50 on my order.

I can usually expect to pay $17.95 for them. I would never pay $25

Where is the written permission from the publishers to format shift? That's a bigger issue than the price. They said they never paid for that when they bought the rights to use the songs to make discs. I remember it being an issue, maybe nobody else does. That is the whole reason we are supposed to be illegal according to the copyright law. The companies like Sound Choice NEVER had permisson or could not give us permission to do a format shift. Our legal rights when we buy discs from anyone DOES NOT INCLUDE FORMAT SHIFTING TO A HARD DRIVE. Technically it NEVER INCLUDED MAKING A 1-1 COPY either. Sound Choice via the copyright law has no legal right allowing us to do anything but play the disc in our house.

Format shifting to a hard drive wasn't an issue when Sound Choice started in business. So the copyright law was updated to include hard drives, Ipods....

And when they buy the rights to use songs for karaoke discs...format shifting is another fee that needed to be paid. Unless they can prove in writing they have indeed paid that fee...then and only then would I buy their download format.

Buyer beware.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Ooops!!!

Should really read further down the page before I open my oversized gob and spout off. :oops:

It appears they ARE offering discounts for buying the whole lot in one go.

Still think it's well overpriced, mind you! :oops:

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The problem still remains about dupes. If you already have half the collection how are you not going to waste money? You have to buy the sets which means you are going to waste money on songs you already have paid for once.
C Mark

Post by C Mark »

I am still trying to figure out how if a venue carries an ASCAP/BMI license the KJ is barred from playing any type of music they want, ripped, downloaded, files given to them, etc. I'm very confused. I have all kinds of songs my singers have brought me that they want to sing. I keep a file for each of them on the hard drive. I have no clue where they got them. Is that not what the ASCAP/BMI licenses are supposed to cover?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If you don't have a disc to go with the songs you are in violation of the law and can be sued for the songs. ASCAP/BMI covers public performances only. They don't cover the songs being legal. As to downloads that is a grey area. If your friends also give you the disc then you have proof that you are one to one ratio and might get permission after an audit to make sure you are 1:1 compliant.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You need the disc or a copy of the download invoice.

Forget about ASCAP/BMI the bar owners handle that, not us, EVER.

Your only concern is copyright law violations.
C Mark

Post by C Mark »

Bigdog wrote:You need the disc or a copy of the download invoice.

Forget about ASCAP/BMI the bar owners handle that, not us, EVER.

Your only concern is copyright law violations.
Okay I get that. So tell me, where are you guys getting your music via download? I've pretty decided I ain't buying jack from Sound Choice.