Live Band Karaoke Update

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Live Band Karaoke Update

Post by Bigdog »

Has anyone heard anything lately about it's recent popularity or lack of?

spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

As I stated on another site, Live band karaoke is making a minor comeback down here. I think it's more of a novelty than anything. It's different and unique until you go the second time. I wouldnt reccommend it for the karaoke regulars.
Tne bands usually know less than 100 songs and wind up playing the same thirty all night long. I visited the Blue Martini last week and the band was less than average and in the two hours I spent there with friends we heard the same songs 2 and three times each.
Maybe, if I didnt do karaoke shows I would get more out of it but it seemed pretty repetitious. Cover song after cover song can get pretty old... FAST!
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

What is "live band karaoke"? My understanding of karaoke is singing to recorded music utilizing displayed synchronized lyrics. It is virtually impossible for a live band to achieve perfect timing with synchronized karaoke lyrics and playing along with the recorded music is just senseless.

Singing lead vocals with a band is not karaoke. It's called "singing with the band".
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

The wiseguy moniker seems appropriate!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Live Band Karaoke was the next big thing to put us out of business.... :shock:

Bands can't possibly learn enough songs to keep a karaoke audience happy for very long.

It's basically open stage with the band and you are the guest singer.

It shouldn't be confused or even advertised as karaoke because it's not karaoke. :roll: It's open stage.

Open stage nights have a limited popularity.

Karaoke is still king. Highly popular bands are few and far between.

Most bars are having trouble with customers wanting to pay a $5 cover charge. Many bars are advertising no cover charge for bands as a way to keep customers coming in.

It has come full circle.

Many years ago bands charged a set fee for the night. The bar owner paid the fee. After years of getting stiffed or over charged because of low crowd draws, bands started working for the cover charge as a way to keep working. I think that started when DJs because the next big thing during the disco era.

Well now the band cover charge may be fading out with the bar owner paying the band from the profits and it may include raising the drink prices as they used to do in the old days. Bottom line is you're still gonna pay for the entertainment one way or another. Open cover charge or hidden drink price increases...you decide.

The other thing about singing with the band karaoke...the bar owner should just hire a band to play all night because they will pay a band rate for the band to do the karaoke thing anyway. Karaoke will always be cheaper than a band.