Sound Choice WARNING

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I'm intrigued with Sound Choice's argument that you are breaking the Law by backing up your discs onto a hard drive.

Do they have, anywhere in their paperwork, that you can you can ONLY use the original disc you purchase?

If so, how do they react if the disc gets scratched or otherwise damaged and you ask for a new one in replacement?

Surely you have purchased the right to use the material from them, forever?

Over here, it is entirely legal to make a backup of ANY material you purchase (if you have the technical skill to do it) and use the backup for general use, keeping the original in case the backup gets damaged.

In fact, in the ancient days when software, for example, was supplied on floppy discs (remember them???), the very first line of most "Readme" files was "Backup this software and store the original"!!!

As several of the KJ's here have stated, they are using PC's for the convenience factor and have and can prove they have, the original CD's.

I fail to understand Sound Choices stand on this as no one doing that is trying in any way shape or form to defraud Sound Choice.

Sandy

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:What kind of settlements have been offered if they sue you?

Pay us money and we're even? Does that cover ever disc manufacturer?

Don't pay and take your chances in court?

What's the price to re buy their entire library?

Who do they really want? The KJ that just has a 1-1 business or the guy selling hard drives?

The 1-1 KJ isn't hurting them at all.
The offer is $6500 and you have to delete all the offending tracks. They will give you their entire existing library to reimport if you so chose.
Better to wait for the MP3+G series because the total amount is going to be 7200 unduplicated songs for $4800.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What about the songs they put out that had to be recalled because they didn't have permission to use the songs? Some of those discs still exist in peoples collections. Are they exempt from prosecution because they stopped selling them? Some did get out. They broke the copyright law lots of times. Was any restitution ever paid? Did it go to court for $250,000 per song or $4,000,000?

The claim is backing up from disc to disc (1-1) was not a format change. Backing up to a hard drive is a format change. Different media. Supposedly they needed to buy the permission from the producers for the format shift and in the "old" days it wasn't thought of yet. So technically they don't even have the right to give us permission to do the format shift. Which makes me question how they can be policing this. Did they ever pay again for each song for the format shift rights?

If I already have x number of discs with their songs do I have to rebuy them again to be legal legal? Does the $6500 cover all the other company's songs in the lawsuit too? Or is it going to be more money for each company?

We will all be out of the karaoke business. If we all quit there will be no need for us to buy anymore discs again.

The only ones buying will still be the pirates. :shock: :lol:

Kill the chicken because we want the eggs. :roll: