Long Song Singers (On Purpose.... Maybe)

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Long Song Singers (On Purpose.... Maybe)

Post by Bigdog »

Has anyone ever had a singer that picks the longest songs they can find to sing on their every turn?

How do you handle it?

Piano man, American Pie, Rappers Delight.....you just sang 25 minutes of the 4 hours.

There is one song longer than AP and I can't think of it now. Then you have Paradice BTDBL and I'm sure there are more.

If the rotation wasn't too long one sly singer could actually do a 1 hour solo show :lol:

Would you let them? Do you think the othe singers would complain?

mnementh

Re: Long Song Singers (On Purpose.... Maybe)

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote: Piano man, American Pie, Rappers Delight.....you just sang 25 minutes of the 4 hours.

There is one song longer than AP and I can't think of it now. Then you have Paradice BTDBL and I'm sure there are more.

Would you let them? Do you think the othe singers would complain?
As you have listed, virtually anything by Meatloaf, a couple by Queen (Innuendo, I believe, is the longest "song" on karaoke) and strangely, a couple by The Eagles could easily go on your list.

Personally, I don't mind if the singer is half decent but when a "screecher" goes up it can be pretty awful.

If I thought I could get away with it, I'd delete everything by Meatloaf from my list. 8)

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I can't say that I've ever noticed anyone try to get more singing time by selecting long songs. That would be pretty pathetic.

I do seek out the shorter versions of songs like these. I have a four minute version of American Pie that I use at my discretion. My version of Piano Man is under five minutes and Innuendo is four and a half minutes long. I believe the longest song in my books is Stairway To Heaven that comes in at nine minutes and fourteen seconds. Thankfully nobody has done that one in years.
srnitynow

Post by srnitynow »

I've had people at my shows that pay attention to the length of EVERYBODIES songs. They also want to get THEIR singing time by picking long songs. Another long one is The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot. I think it IS pretty petty when people have nothing better to do (when they go out to have FUN), than to sit and nit pick about not getting their MINUTES. :roll:

Srnitynow
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

I just tell 'em that they're welcome to sing 'em, but I announce PBTDBL, American Pie, and Stairway to Heaven as sing-alongs and they have to share the stage with whoever wants to come up and sing since they're such long songs.

So many people change their mind when I tell 'em that . . . :mrgreen:
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Moonrider wrote:I just tell 'em that they're welcome to sing 'em, but I announce PBTDBL, American Pie, and Stairway to Heaven as sing-alongs and they have to share the stage with whoever wants to come up and sing since they're such long songs.

So many people change their mind when I tell 'em that . . . :mrgreen:
I can see how that could be a problem too. What if you get a few people that want to do 10 minute sing-a-longs all night long? :roll: