Who is it all about, anyway?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Who is it all about, anyway?

Post by Bigdog »

I had a visit tonight from a KJ (a white guy) that I never met or even heard about. He wanted to sing Snoop Dog and Dr Dre...etc. We all know I don't have that stuff. :deadhorse: :lol:

Now he gets a little upset. After he checked the book and didn't find anything he really wanted to "WOW" the audience with. Big deal he can sing some rap songs without looking at some of the words. I told him I didn't do "F***" shows.

So he comes back up and puts in a "normal" song. Then he proceeds to tell me his cute stage name. Which I won't use here to protect his "IMAGE." Something like DJ Grand Master ....blab yak. You get the idea. He wants my entire audience to know he's a KJ/DJ whatever.

He also wants to know if he brings in his own songs and "edits" them if I'll play them. I told him yeah. So I know his entire repertoire contains nothing but swearing rap crap. I guess he can help me and my show out with his talent.

Then it hits me that his show is all about him. Cutesy name, rap songs he knows by heart. Yadda yadda. ALL Show off stuff. Probably in bars I wouldn't go to unless I was packin'.

I personally never even cared if anyone ever knew my name just as long as they remembered the company name. There are other DJs in the hood here that have fancy DJ names. They aren't working as much as me either. HMMMMM

Maybe if they put more effort in to the "business" and less on themselves they might be on to something. That might work in LA for a regular big club spinner, but I highly doubt a local shmocal KJ is going "big tyme" around here with a fancy DJ word play name. :roll: There have been other flash in the pans come and go with cutesy names. Why don't they ever last?

They never knew what it was all about. I promote high quality karaoke about singers that sound good because of the sound system and my mixing skills. Not on making sure every single person knew my name and how to spell it. I don't care what they call me as long as they come out every week. And they can hear a difference in my show.

There was another new singer tonight. She was supposedly "shy" and wanted to hear my system before she sang. I can guarantee she probably regularly frequents a show with a crap sound system. Because I know what crap's around and I have never seen her before.

Her friend told me she likes me and she will be back. Who cares if she knows my name. What is important is she wants to come back to my show. Must have been something that made her like whatever she heard. And it wasn't my cutesy name.

Karaoke is the priority, not my name. The Ting Tings would love it. :lol:

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

It's really about how you treat the singers not who is the "Hottest" DJ/KJ. Who cares about their knowing who you are. Just as long as they know that they can expect to be treated the right way from the first time. If that sticks in their mind and they can remember where they were when they got the correct treatment, does not mean you allow just anything, then you are doing your job correctly.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

This is a pet peeve of mine. KJs that think they are "Mr. Entertainer" annoy the hell out of me. I get one of these morons occasionally and have yet to see them impress the crowd in the least. The fancy names and theatrics are there to replace the talent it takes to be a "real" KJ.

Until you realize that you are there to to help the crowd entertain themselves you will never be a good KJ.
Acclaim

Post by Acclaim »

Hello All,

customer servcie is king. It's not about how great of a DJ or KJ you are. Remember who pays the bills and keeps the cash register ringing. The CUSTOMERS! They're the ones footing the bill so those who put themselves ahead of the customers will surely shoot themselves in the foot.

Jason
Jason Christopher
Free Teleseminar Reveals “How To Earn An Executives Income Hosting Karaoke…Without Having To Work An Executives 70-Hour A Week Schedule” go to www.makemoneywithkaraoke.com now
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Clearly the fancy name is just a way of showing off. Making sure everyone knew he was a KJ or DJ was another. I suspect he was farming for singers to come to his show.

It's all about him. I'm willing to bet the sound system he uses is nominal and that he performs regularly at his shows.

It's not about the karaoke experience or the singers.

My biggest beef is the X rated factor. :deadhorse:

He won't appear cool to everyone if he edits the swearing out. Plus the fact that he chooses to do all the rap songs. I am not worried about how cool I appear. I am confident in my total presentation.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I guess I should be thankful that such a major talent would want to take the time to improve my crowd by performing for free. I guess my head isn't inflated as much as I thought. :roll: :lol: He was wearing a hat to cover the word GOODYEAR on his forehead.

Him singing Dr Dre and Snoop Dog at my show would be like me singing polkas at his and seriously thinking that his crowd loved me and they would be requesting more polkas in the song books and how did they ever survive without me. 8)

I can picture his crowd and I'm very sure there isn't one in the bunch I would really want as a regular or even as a one time visitor. :oops: