are we a sports bar now?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
pm4877

are we a sports bar now?

Post by pm4877 »

I host karaoke fri,sat,sun at the local american legion. I was doing just fri nights, but suggested to try sat and sun to see if we can pick up more business. I did it free for a month on sundays. Business picked up, and I started getting paid. Now 6 months later, and new manager, a rule popped up stating that due to football season, karaoke is suspended on sat and sun until after the superbowl. WoW, what idiots!! Customers are angry, but what can I do???

srnitynow

Post by srnitynow »

Actually, this happens more than you would think, but that's the way it is. The new manager is probably REALLY into sports, has some buddies that will come in, drink some beer, scream at the tv sets, and stay until ALL of the games are over. If you can compete with that, good luck! That's why karaoke is usually on nights when there are no SPORTS. Once sports become involved, you don't have a chance.

Rosario
Serenity Now Karaoke
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

I'm currently at 2 sports bars and understand first hand the problems that arise when football or basketball, etc are coming on. When Orlando was in the NBA finals this year one of the venue managers tried to postpone are start time by an hour and a half. This paticular venue is our busiest karaoke night by far and the clientele there let him know it. I had over 20 request slips in my hand 30 minutes before our scheduled time to start and they all went nuts when I told them we werent going to start until 9:30.
I simply went to the manager and told him to please go talk to the angry mob of singers I have waiting and he of course wimped out and we started about 20 minutes later.
What I'm saying is that I think it boils down to what brings in the business: football or karaoke. If this isn't possible to decipher then moving to a non-football night is always an option.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Don't get me started... :shock: :lol: :deadhorse:

I hate :billyclub: :surrender: sports bars. I work 3 nights in 2 and 2 nights in a wannabe sports bar. :cry: :cry: :cry: :mad:

I have mellowed slightly on the subject. For only one reason. The current economic disaster. If it helps to keep the bar from going under. And if I get paid my full fee. I can tolerate it. I don't like it, but I tolerate it.

If they want to cut my pay ... :billyclub: :yikes: :nonod: :dead:
KnoxvilleKaraoke

Post by KnoxvilleKaraoke »

I work in a college town and football is like a religion. So when the local team conflicts with our schedule we start later. Luckily everyone knows it because we only do it for one team and only if they play the late game which usually ends no later than 10:00. We make a party of it and do special things at half time like a couple of ambush karaoke songs or quick song challenges or a group sing along of the school fight song. Keeps people interested and we all seem to enjoy it.
"If we were good we would be in Nashville."
"Let's Have some fun!"
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I had a candid talk with the cook last night.

He claims the owner wants to turn the bar into a sports bar. :shock: :yikes:

That's why they added the new TVs. :shock:

They are going to drop the franchise and start over as a "new" sports bar. :cry: :cry: :evil:

:deadhorse: I hate working in sports bars.