Is anyone afraid to play customer discs?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Is anyone afraid to play customer discs?

Post by Bigdog »

This piracy discussion has gone to many areas. Some KJs have stopped playing customer discs for fear of prosecution.

Prosecution for what?

Playing your discs or someone elses disc is not illegal. :shock:

Playing a disc is not piracy.

Coping their disc is piracy.

Playing your disc is not piracy. Copying your disc is piracy. According to some. Others claim 1-1 is not piracy.

I'll play anybodies disc whether it's original or a copy.

Anyone that takes their original discs to a show is goofy. I have seen how some KJs take care of peoples discs. I have seen the scratches they made from either carelessness or out of jealousy. Regardless of why, they ruined the disc. :shock:

I have seen the damage caused to my discs just from regular use. And I was extremely careful with them. I can not control oxidation of the foil.

I would rather play someones copy for that reason. I don't want blamed or accused or forced to pay for someone elses original disc. Especially if it's no longer available for purchase. Now what? I did years ago get accused of scratching someones disc. Did I? I have no way of knowing. After that I started closely examining other peoples discs before I played them. And pointed out scratches to them.

Most singers don't take good care of their discs. They don't understand how fragile they really are. As far as scratches making the graphics garble.

I won't play a jump drive from anyone. Only from fear of a virus not the legality of the content.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I would rather not play a customer's disc because I don't want it to accidently misplace it.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'll play anyone's disc but I have a disclaimer posted that I will not be responsible for their damage or loss.
Bigdog wrote:I won't play a jump drive from anyone. Only from fear of a virus not the legality of the content.
You're really no safer with a burnt disc as it could just as easily contain a virus.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:I'll play anyone's disc but I have a disclaimer posted that I will not be responsible for their damage or loss.
Bigdog wrote:I won't play a jump drive from anyone. Only from fear of a virus not the legality of the content.
You're really no safer with a burnt disc as it could just as easily contain a virus.
yeah that may be true but who heard of a virus taking out a cdg player (the outside version, not the computer).
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I play customer discs from an external USB drive. I have to que it from/thru my hosting program.

I remember accidentally cracking a customer disc once. :oops: I was polishing out some scratches. I bought them a replacement disc. But if it would have been out of circulation I would have been in trouble.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I have no problem playing customer's discs. Even though I have gone to a computer system I still have my deck hooked up.

If I have the same song, by the same manufacturer, I ask if they mind if I use mine; it's just easier.

I do like you disclaimer, wiseguy. That is a very good idea.
Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:I play customer discs from an external USB drive. I have to que it from/thru my hosting program.
The same would be true of a flash drive. I've yet to hear of anyone getting a virus by playing someone else's discs but it certainly is possible. Personally, I won't run any of my computers without on-access anti virus installed.
Acclaim

Post by Acclaim »

Hello All,

I'll play a customers disc. I tell them that at the end of the song, I will place it right here on the table.

It's their responsibility to do whatever with it from there.

Sometimes they'll just keep it with me all night. They'll say please play track 4, 7, 9.
IF they say that ... I say ok, but when you're ready to leave, make sure you come and get it. AGain, it's on them to remember.

Jason
Jason Christopher
Free Teleseminar Reveals “How To Earn An Executives Income Hosting Karaoke…Without Having To Work An Executives 70-Hour A Week Schedule” go to www.makemoneywithkaraoke.com now