Water Drinking.....I know...

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Let me throw this thought out there ...

The singers are the entertainment. No one is paying them. Granted, the bar owner is paying the KJ to facilitate the entertainment, but the KJ isn't the entertainment.

Following that logic, if it wasn't for the singers there would be no entertainment for others to enjoy.

I'll run for cover now. :twisted:

Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Sabrina59 wrote:Let me throw this thought out there ...

The singers are the entertainment. No one is paying them. Granted, the bar owner is paying the KJ to facilitate the entertainment, but the KJ isn't the entertainment.

Following that logic, if it wasn't for the singers there would be no entertainment for others to enjoy.

I'll run for cover now. :twisted:
Not for Bigdog. If he has no singers he sings every song and thus would be the sole entertainment. :)

On the serious side, the KJ is providing the entire means for people to sing. The bar is paying him to supply this whether there are any singers or not. So the KJ is the entertainment. People who sing karaoke are there to sing on a professional karaoke system without having to rent or buy one. They should not expect this privilege to be free.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I'm the first one to admit that I am very cheap ... my pennies scream all the time because I pinch them so hard. However, I would be embarassed to walk into a bar and drink water all night. If I'm going to be there I need to spend some money. But the most you're getting out of me is about $20 a night.

Are there really that many people who expect free drinks all night long? Is this really a problem? I don't spend a lot of time in bars, never have, but I haven't noticed any folks who drink water all night.

I think maybe I'm looking at this more from a cheap singers prespective than a bar owner's.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Anyone that doesn't want to support the bar for bringing in a top quality Entertainer like myself,... :cigar: :sing: . is CHEAP. :shock:

Everyone has a medical condition of some form or another. It doesn't effect how your wallet works.

If your medical condition allows you to drink water...why does it have to only be the free stuff? Is paid for water bad for your medical condition?

As we proved in the previous posts...there is NO SUCH THING AS FREE WATER. That only happened in the cowboy days when you went to the creek and drank. In the real world, water needs to be treated for stuff and my water company never sends me a free monthly water bill. My sewer bill is never free. My dishwasher doesn't use free electric. My Ice maker doesn't run of free electric. Free lemons don't grow on trees....

My karaoke system wasn't free. My time isn't free. The bartenders don't work for free. Rent/mortgages aren't free.

If your medical condition needs free water to survive...stay home and drink your free water. I wouldn't want to be guity of killing you. :billyclub: Because you had to pay for a water.

Cheap, cheap, cheap...sounds from the aviary. :lol:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The bar doesn't pay the singers to sing. The singers pay the bar owner to be able to sing by paying for food and drinks of some kind.

No food and drinks paid for, no singers, no karaoke, no bar.

Singers are unpaid entertainment. I need paid to provide the vehicle for the singers to sing. Each singer doesn't bring along their own PA system and music and microphones. Like paid performers.

The reason people go to a karaoke night at a bar is to sing. They wouldn't be there if the bar owner wasn't willing to pay for the KJ to be there so his customers can sing. His intention is to make money in the process. Because he operates a for profit business. Not a charity or a food bank. He only has a limited means of making that money. Selling prepared food and drinks.

If you go grocery shopping, do you eat & drink everything you can before you get to the check out with an empty cart? Ohhhh...I'm not buying anything today. Just browsing. Oh and by the way..the chips were stale and the Musak songs were too slow and boring, the meat smells funny, there was no free water, the rest rooms are dirty and I'll be back to do it all again the same time next week. Can you have everything corrected by then? I'm your best customer.

You have to pay for the garbage men to take away you garbage. If I don't want to pay them and I put my garbage in your cans...That's called Theft of Services. It's a crime. If you are entertained all night without paying for anything you are stealing from the bar owner. You took advantage of the musical service he paid for. His electric and water and sewer, his help and his entertainment.

Now there was no cover charge but it doesn't mean that everything is free to all without any type of an expected donation in the form of purchasing something. To partake of his generous hospitality for free is wrong. It's just plain rude. You wouldn't want a hundred strange people coming to your house night after night to watch your pay-per-view and drink for free while you wait on them hand and foot.

I don't see how the free water drinkers think their actions are exceptable and should be tolerated. That takes a lot of nerve.

Next time someone complains about something you didn't do right or should have done different...like the KJ shouldn't be singing or when am I up and how come they sang before me...see if it's a water drinker doing the loudest yelling... :roll:
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Unfortunately it usually is the water drinkers that whine the most at my shows. They spend little and expect preferential treatment. There the ones that ask you if they can sing two in a row because they have to go home. They ask you to start earlier and stay later while leaving your tipjar empty.
There the ones right in your face when your at your busiest point of the night asking some dumb question that you already answered an hour ago.

Bottom line........... You gotta spend a reasonable amount of money at any venue that offers entertainment. I'm pretty frugal with my money too, but realize that when I'm out on the town its gonna cost me! It costs for water, food, soda, appetizers, etc. and it costs for karaoke as well!!!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Maybe if singers had to pay a cover charge for karaoke they would appreciate it more.

Just because you attend for free doesn't mean it has no cost involved in providing it.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I'm sure most folks don't think karaoke is free for the bar, but it is a service offered.

I just have never seen much of this going on. Once again, I'm showing how naive I am. :redface:
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

They showed up tonight....

I gave the heads up to the staff and manager. :wink:

They had alcohol drinks and they screwed up because I also saw glasses of ice water on the table too. They were supposed to sell them bottled water.

After I just told them about it. :roll:

Now I have a problem with stupid bartenders. :evil: :sorry: :mad:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

You did what you could. But really, since they did buy some drinks is it much of an issue? But then, I don't know how many bodies were there, nor how many drinks there were compared to water.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Here is what I see coming...They did a test ...they bought a real drink and asked for a glass of water and got it. Next time they ask for water only...street wise stuff...Well we got free water last time..

Now the bar is screwed....I don't care anymore. :mad:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Lile I said ... you did everything you could. It's not your problem now.
Sabrina the Cat
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

Lone Wolf wrote:OK what do you do if you CAN NOT drink Liquor or Soda due to some problem medical or otherwise and want to go sing Karaoke?
You mean like some of my friends and family members? They like the clubs that have good healthy bar snacks, and will usually drink unsweetened tea to go with their food order. They may not be getting hammered, but they'll spend an equal amount on stuff to drink and nibble on that won't react with their meds.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

People with special dietary needs are not the problem.

Cheap people that drink free water are the problem. Having a medical condition should not be confused with CHEAP.

Drinking just water is costing the bar more than the alcohol/soda drinkers. Alcohol/soda drinks contribute to the cash flow and pay the bills. Water drinkers are not cost effective.

The very first sip of water puts the bar in the hole. Every sip after takes out another shovel full.

They get free entertainment. Free air conditioning/heat. Free service. Free restroom privledges. Free night out on someone elses dime.

You pay for their fun. How does it feel???
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Bigdog wrote:People with special dietary needs are not the problem.

Cheap people that drink free water are the problem. Having a medical condition should not be confused with CHEAP.

Drinking just water is costing the bar more than the alcohol/soda drinkers. Alcohol/soda drinks contribute to the cash flow and pay the bills. Water drinkers are not cost effective.

The very first sip of water puts the bar in the hole. Every sip after takes out another shovel full.

They get free entertainment. Free air conditioning/heat. Free service. Free restroom privledges. Free night out on someone elses dime.

You pay for their fun. How does it feel???
Get a frickin grip you old dog. I hope the day doesn't come when you have to sit home because of some ailment. There are people out there that do have medical conditions that will not allow them to drink alcohol or soda and not all bars serve food so what are they to do OH YEA bars do not go broke from people drinking water. Do you realize (probably not cuz you don't read your water bill) that EVERYONE that has water service pays a minimum bill whether ONE drop of water is used or not!!!!!!!!! So some one that comes in and says drinks a gallon of water every night will not contribute to a bars loss.
This must be a FLORIDA or EAST COAST thing because I've never heard one complaint from anyone here.
I am so sick of this crap on this board where "THE BIG DOG" must rule everything and have the last say on everything I think that I'll just go to better boards where this crap doesn't exist.