I'm a new singer and you need to put me in......

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The way I do my show, which is non stop, 8) I look for each singer personally to give them the microphone. So If I don't find them, the next in line gets the microphone and they know they are next if "Dick" doesn't show up or isn't there if I do call his name. Still there is no stopping the show for someone that isn't there or ready.

That's customer service. :wink:

A few mouse clicks puts the next singer to the top and ready before the last song ends.

I don't hold it against "Dick" if he is outside or the mens room. He just sings a slot out of place unless he permanently left.

Every singers gets personal contact from me several times during the night. That's customer service. A touch or pat on the back.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'll be damned if I'm going to run around the bar, looking outside and in restrooms for the next singer. I'm a KJ not a babysitter. If you want to sing you'll get your ass up there when I call your name.

I don't hold this against "Dick" unless he acts like a "Dick" and makes a habit of it.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:I'll be damned if I'm going to run around the bar, looking outside and in restrooms for the next singer. I'm a KJ not a babysitter. If you want to sing you'll get your ass up there when I call your name.

I don't hold this against "Dick" unless he acts like a "Dick" and makes a habit of it.
I have to say that I DO agree with this philosophy.

In the unlikely event that you have very few singers, then perhaps a quick look round for stragglers is called for but NOVER if there are plenty in the rotation.

I operate a strict "three shouts and your out" policy when it's busy.

The regulars know this but also know when their turn is almost due plus I have a "next singer" banner onscreen.

Basically there's no excuse for not being ready to come to the mike.

Sandy
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I'm a little bit torn on this one. I like the idea of having personal contact with each singer, as BD does. If he is looking for the next singer right after the current singer starts, that gives him only a few minutes to find "Dick". I think I, as a customer, would appreciate that I don't lose my turn because there is a line to the bathroom.

However, if I wait until the song is over to call the next person up, I agree that I'm not going to waste time looking for them. I think the "three shouts and you're out" policy is fine.

I think it all depends on when you are actually looking for the next singer. The key, in my opinion, is to have as little dead air as possible. As karaoke singers, we usually know who we follow but sometimes things come up.

My personal irritation are those who have to get one more shot before their next song ... or take another drink. You know who you follow, be ready. It is rather rude to make everyone wait for you.
Sabrina the Cat
searcherone

Post by searcherone »

I have 40 to 50 singers a night. Singers sign up on a remote PC then I add then to the list. When they sign up the screen displays the approximate wait time and time stamps their entry. The Karaoke screen lists the next 4 singers and what time they should be on stage perdforming.
I have 100 to 150 people in the bar and it's packed, so I'm not about to look beyond the immediate vincinity of the stage for anyone. For the first hour and a half, the list is what it is and I generally don't move anyone around, new people go to the end of the line because that's how long the first rotation generally is. The last two hours I'll mix new singers into the list as I see fit. If you ask me to bump you up, I use the $100 rule. $100 cash takes you to the top! So far everyone that has asked to be bumped hasn't had the cash :wink: By the end of the first hour I'm running the rocket round. One singer on stage, one on deck next to the stage. Three calls to the stage and your out, next singer, next on deck.
When you're that busy, the emphisis is on giving as many people a chance to sing as possible.

I'm sure you get the other complaint "I signed up an hour ago ... When do I get to sing???
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have a three count too. But usually it happens when I have 25-30 singers and nobody tells you they left for the night. In rare cases I could have not been able to find them. Because I never saw them before or they were in the rest rooms. I never ...hardly ever check restrooms. Unless I know that's where they are and it's taking way too long to return.

This isn't going to come out right.

Skipping a person totally seems pretty counter productive to enhancing your reputation. I know there may be some that want to milk there "show" time. To me it shows you may not be as dedicated to your business as you pretend. Like it's a job you're getting tired of.

Don't get me wrong...I have little tolerance for jerks. But this isn't Hollywood or American Idol. It's karaoke at Joes Place. Things aren't going to run perfectly smooth. You are talking about the people that pay your way.

The last thing I want to do is Pi$$ anyone off to the point that they don't want to come back. EXCEPT JERKS... :evil: :twisted:

So you missed your turn...I went to the next singer without missing a beat and you can sing in your new spot in the rotation.

It's not WATERBOARDING... :lol: (I endorse Torture that doesn't permantentaly maims you.)

It's CUSTOMER SERVICE...not fingernail pulling... :roll: :roll:

Why is it so hard to move them to a different spot??? Without going postal... :roll:

You make it sound like it happens all night long instead of once a night. And from my understanding you are "filling" in the dead air anyway.

I also understand you don't want things to get out of hand and become something they think they can do all night, every night...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you become complacent with the control of your show there will be some people ready to exploit it. They'll get the mindset that "hey I don't need to care if I'm around when it's my turn to sing because this KJ will just put me up whenever I'm ready". Nothing changes this attitude faster than tossing out their requests.

You're right that it's not hard to move them to a different spot. It's also not hard for them to ask me when they're up or inform me that they will be temporarily unavailable. I show respect to my singers and I expect the same from them.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't get taken advantage of. It's nothing that constantly happens. But it could happen once or twice a night. I don't think it's intentional. But I do think some of these people are used to karaoke that has 8-10 singers regularly and a show that has 25-35 regularly they can't comprehend.

I'm pretty easy going until you Mess with me... :twisted:

I take it in stride as part of my standard operating procedure. NO BIG DEAL.

As long as I can keep the show going nonstop is all that matters. And that is 99.99999% of the time.

SMOKERS are the biggest offenders. So get rid of them and there is no issue.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Bigdog wrote:SMOKERS are the biggest offenders. So get rid of them and there is no issue.
HEY! I resemble that remark! :evil:

There are quite a few of us that smoke at the bar I frequent. We are usually out front, grouped around my truck (tailgate down, perfect place to watch), watching the show through the window. We can hear it as well.

Each of us head back inside in a timely manner so there is no delay. Smoker's can be respectful too ... and some of us are.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:redface: :mrgreen:
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I use a three count and then you get skipped. three skips in a row you get inactivated for that rotation. If I run into you after that I'll let you know that you were called and ask if theywant to sing still. If so they wait untill their turn comes around again.