Bar Owner's Concern...

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Dupe post. :oops:

I just wanted to make my "post" book look bigger than the competitions. :lol:

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The more I think about it, I think the new DJ/KJ for Saturday will be the new jukebox.

That's why the negotiations broke off. :evil: And why they asked if I DJ too.

I can guarantee another failure night coming on Saturday. They will wait until I'm working down the road and then it will be too late. That night will never be any good. I also know the KJs that want that night very bad. I already know they won't be able to do anything with it.

Chaulk up another win for stupid bar owner/managers. There must really be a bar owner failure manual. It has to come with the liquor license. :lol:

If they really want a DJ night to work they will need to rip out the ceramic floor and put in a wood dance area. You can't dance on grout cracks. :roll:

They are just grabbing a straws, trying to through some mud on the wall and see it any sticks. Penny wize and dollar foolish. :wink:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Sadly, the future is here and it's in the form of hard drive juke boxes.

They're in most Pubs over here and make a fair amount of money for the establishment.

The one in the boozer, 'round the corner from my flat even has a karaoke function??? :shock:

Some are web connected, so that if there is a song someones looking for and it's not on the machine, for a small extra charge, the box will find and download it for you.

Ah me! These electronic times?

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

All the new jukes boxes are internet connected.

And I just saw one in a place I do that has 16 plays for (I Think it said) $5.

I can play about 16 karaoke songs in an hour. So at $5 per 16 songs a bar could do an open jukebox night for $20. :shock:

DJs are doomed.

The only good thing for us is a jukebox can kill a crowd pretty fast.

Lets say you have a nice middle aged dinner crowd and a punk comes in and plays 16 (1 hour) hip hop/rap/angry rock songs littered with F Bombs and other not so pleasant subject matter. Kiss that crowd goodbye in a big hurry. And anyone just coming in the door.

The internet jukebox without a parental control setting is going to kill a lot of business.

Bar owners don't get it. This uncensored juke box in ear shot of the dinning area will kill the family crowd.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Jukeboxes, except for the rare privately owned ones, are generally censored to contain the same songs and versions that are heard on the radio.

They will never replace the DJ because they are not capable of beat matching and other important DJ effects.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Right.....if you are in a high tech dance club where the main business is dancing.

In the average dive bar the only thing that matters is noise not silence. They just want something to scream along with and to add shock value with vulgar content. Momentary dead spots won't matter.

The last time I looked I played in bars doing karaoke, not dance clubs DJing.

Stupid KJs that have killed their crowd and have to play dance sets because they played dance sets, will be affected. Can always be replaced by a jukebox.

Lets see......

Stupid KJs..... Big $$$$

Stupid DJs.... $$$$

Smart Juke box ...$

Happy patrons .....Priceless.

As the bar owner what would you want to spend money on?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The average dive bar does not hire a DJ. DJs are for dance crowds. There's no way that a jukebox can replace a DJ. However, dive bars do hire karaoke and you might want to worry a little about a successful karaoke jukebox craze.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I work in bars that have DJs. They just play music. Whether people are there dancing all night, I don't know.

I also know lousy KJs that play music almost all night because there is nobody singing. So they both could be replaced by a Jukebox.

Just like the Guitar Hero craze that quickly petered out. A karaoke jukebox sounds like a good idea for a dive bar entertainment.

I highly doubt that karaoke purests are going to flock to a jukebox to sing. Who will be there to adjust the sound mix? Who will keep the rotation? Who will help keep the flow of the music? It sounds like a karaoke home party at a bar.

I orchestrate my show down to the last detail. The night runs the way I have predicted it will go. I have done so with the musical content.

Many KJs now run free for all karaoke. This is exactly what a karaoke jukebox will do. Total chaos. The screaming drunks will love it. Serious singers will hate it. I'll bet on the serious singers. The exact same thing that keeps singers away from most KJs shows will keep them away from karaoke jukeboxes. The karaoke jukebox is just a FANCY all-in-one junk system. Stand in front of the box on the wall connected to the microphone cord. :lol:

This would be a big improvement over some of my competition. :shock:

The bar I work in now must think a jukebox will be enough to keep their crowd entertained. Not necessarily dancing. I don't think it will work as good as they think it will. Especially if they think people will come to dance seriously. The dance floor is ceramic. :lol:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Quote="Bigdog"]The more I think about it, I think the new DJ/KJ for Saturday will be the new jukebox.

That's why the negotiations broke off. :evil: And why they asked if I DJ too.

I can guarantee another failure night coming on Saturday. They will wait until I'm working down the road and then it will be too late. That night will never be any good. I also know the KJs that want that night very bad. I already know they won't be able to do anything with it.

Chaulk up another win for stupid bar owner/managers. There must really be a bar owner failure manual. It has to come with the liquor license. :lol:

If they really want a DJ night to work they will need to rip out the ceramic floor and put in a wood dance area. You can't dance on grout cracks. :roll:

They are just grabbing a straws, trying to throw some mud on the wall and see it any sticks. Penny wize and dollar foolish. :wink:[/quote]
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:shock:

The negotiations for Saturday are back on again. :roll:

I met the new general manager tonight and he wanted to talk about my doing Saturday. Well he told me straight up that after working the last 2 saturdays...he HATES the KJ. He wants him gone. And he talked to all the help and they all hate him too. And customers. EVERYBODY HATES HIM.

Found out another interesting fact. A bartender is leaving for a new job and tonight was her last night. After the conversation with the GM, he has me wondering just how much money they do on my karaoke night. So who better to ask than the girl that's leaving. :idea:

According to her...average is $3000... :shock: I said is that all day??? She said no just the karaoke.....now she would have no reason to make this up..but I don't know if I believe it's just 4 hours worth. She said the saturday guy gets in about $1500. The GM told me he does $500. So I don't think I still know the answer to my question. :?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The girl that's leaving told me she hates him because he has a real small song book and he thinks he a radio personality between every singer. Who has that much different to say that it doesn't get boring and repetative?

That's how I got a job years ago by replacing a blabber mouth KJ. He filled the dead air between the 1 laser disc player loading and unloading. That takes about 1.30-1.45 seconds after each song. Not only the blabbing but I played at least an hours more songs per night.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The couple I trained is taking over the Saturday night smoking job I quit. The bar owner has gone through quite a few KJs already. Any guess why? This owner has been begging them to come there.

They quit a steady job because the owner cancelled them 2 weeks in a row over the Stanley Cup. He cancels them at the drop of a hat. Almost every holiday when he figures he doesn't need them to play because he can make almost the same money and not pay them.

He has no loyalty to them or his regular karaoke singers. And they played over for free every night. Another cheap owner. He begged them not to quit.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:oops:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

How about common sense? This entire scenario was a lack of common sense and courtesy on the part of the wedding KJ.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I wanted this to be a seperate topic so I moved it... :oops: :oops: