Karaoke Try-Outs

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

As I agree we don't get paid our worth(for the most part) an ocasanal free show can pay off. I just did my 1 free show 2 weeks ago at a local bar & grill. I had been dealing with the manager,last night was our first paying night (after the first show we replaced the KJ they had) the owners where out of state the 1st night but caught last night and to say they were grinning ear to ear would be an understatement the place was packed people were singing dancing all night, with the last KJ they were lucky to have 5 people in the bar! they were doing the 1st & 3rd wed. of the month after seeing what we do, that got changed to every wed. even threw us extra $$ last night!! sometime it pays out to do a freebie. It just has to be handled on a case to case deal.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Part of the problem with the other KJ was the bar working against itself by not doing every week to begin with. :shock: Be glad they only did every other week before.

Generally people are stupid. :shock:

An every week job is easier for them to remember than an every other.

I stopped doing once a month or every other week jobs, period. Years ago. They might work but not nearly as good as every week jobs. I won't do every other for any amount of money.

And I don't lose money whenever you can not find some other bar owner to do the other inbetween weeks.

Whenever a bar owner suggests every other to me to "See how it works," I tell them about stupid patrons and how every week is easier to remember. And if I have to look at my calender to see when I'm working here and I'm getting paid to be here, what do you thing everyone else is doing and thinking? :roll: It usually works to get them to do every week. :wink:
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Sounds like it worked out for you Bigdog! I have done about a half-dozen free gigs in my short time as a kj to generate new business and its worked out 50% of the time. I've been scammed by the bar owner that never intended to have entertainment in the first place and I've also been hired to do weekly gigs (still have that same gig) by an legitimate owner.

Afetr careful consideration Ive come to the conclusion that the word "free" and my karaoke will not collide in the same sentence. I currently have 4 gigs a week and cannot handle any additional work. I don't just come in the venue and set up 2 speakers and play karaoke songs. I have lights, props, sub-woofers, table tents, etc that take my time and energy to set up and I will not give it away anymore on the chance of a new gig.

My fee is more than the average kj charges around here but I feel I'm worth it. I frequent other local karaoke shows to see and evaluate my competition. IMHO if you wanna pay someone 100.00 to do karaoke for you then you get what you pay for!!! I put on a show and make lasting friendships with singers and non-singers alike. No freebies baby!!!!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you are just starting out and need to find jobs...giving away a free gig is worth the time and it gives you experience. I did it just so I could have the practice of running a rotation and mixing and setting up and tearing down. If you screw it up they can't bytch about it because it didn't cost them anything.

I practiced in my basement for 3 months but that's nothing close to actually playing out. Then you learn real fast. I had nobody to actually help me or show me anything. I watched other KJs at their jobs, but I never bugged any of them, I just watched from a distance. I made my share of mistakes and did some stupid things on the way. Making mistakes is the best teacher.

The chance is there to be taken advantage of. Those are the things you learn as you go. I would rather give a discount and get something for my time. It takes me almost 1 hour to set up. 800 pounds of equipment to move. I don't use lights.

Actually in 16 years I've never seen a karaoke show that uses lights unless they are house lights.

And 99% of the bars don't even have a stage. :shock: Just a spot on the floor without tables in the way. :lol: