Recording Singers

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Then how can Compuhost sell their software that includes a designed recording device if its illegal? I'm sure they did their research as well as far as legalities go.
We also do live-streaming from most of our venues that have an internet connection which feeds live audio/video for all to see from our website too. Would you all consider that illegal as well?

spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

I'd also like to reiterate that I gain nothing monetarily from doing either of these things. Its part of our show and are singers absolutely love it!
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Since you own no rights or permissions to broadcast, my guess is illegal.

There are and have been hundreds of hardware and software units over the years to make copies from reel to reel, cassettes, 8 tracks, VCRs, Betas, cds, CD+Gs, VCDs, DVDs, mp3s, not to mention all the different software programs. They all know it's illegal. But they usually have a disclaimer with them telling you not to copy copyrighted material.

This also includes copiers, scanners, fax.....Photography, video, cameras...

It's up to the user to do what's right and legal. We all know what copyright violation is. If you don't own the work, then you need the owners permission. It's pretty simple.

http://www.prosoundmusiclibrary.com/needle_drop.php

I just found this info tonight. It should explain what it costs to use music.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

spotlightjr wrote:Then how can Compuhost sell their software that includes a designed recording device if its illegal? I'm sure they did their research as well as far as legalities go.
We also do live-streaming from most of our venues that have an internet connection which feeds live audio/video for all to see from our website too. Would you all consider that illegal as well?
Bigdog is right. There are countless software programs that are capable of, or even seemingly designed for, committing illegal activities. There are law suits pending all over the place to prove it. If you are so sure that what you are doing is legal then please post the url of your site here.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

spotlightjr wrote:I'd also like to reiterate that I gain nothing monetarily from doing either of these things. Its part of our show and are singers absolutely love it!
Doesn't matter. I'm sure you know that you cannot make copies of your karaoke discs and give them away. Same concept.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Does a web broadcast/streaming video need special licensing? Like a radio station or TV station. FCC rules????

What about permission from all of the particpants. Like a model release form.

I think it's a can of worms. It may sound cool....so does buying a bunch of dope and selling if for a big profit and retiring in paradise. Until you get caught. :shock:

You are the only person responsible for the content you put on your web site. Legal and illegal.

I don't have a web site. Never will.
Moonrider

Re: Recording Singers

Post by Moonrider »

Sabrina59 wrote:So how much trouble could I get into if I recorded singers, at their request, during a show? I'm thinking $5 for the CD, label and jewel case.
Normally I'll lurk a while in a new forum before I post, but this topic is an area I've researched for my own recordings.

Like BigDog said, it opens a real can of worms, and there's two areas that could spell trouble for you.

1) To make a recording of someone else's song, you need a license (that means have permission) to use the publishing. That's the main area that could bite you.

If you want to record someone performing a karaoke song legally, you need to have a license to make a recording of that song from the songwriter. Given the nature of karaoke, that means you'd have to license every unique song in your collection. You never know what any person might select to sing.

2) To perform a cover of someone else's song, or play/stream their recording to the public you need to license the performance rights. Most of the time this is covered by "blanket" fees the venue pays to ASCAP and BMI. But there's a potential "gotcha" here too.

You see, when a person records a cover of a tune, that performance becomes a unique copyrighted work of art in it's own right. That means while you charged them to make the recording (asking you to do so granted you permission) , if you play or stream it without a license, they can require you to pay the fees for the performance license plus the punitive fines for illegally using their work of art!
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

spotlightjr wrote:Then how can Compuhost sell their software that includes a designed recording device if its illegal? I'm sure they did their research as well as far as legalities go.
Lots of company's sell stuff that is illegal to own, just to name a few, Switchblades, Automatic Weapons (without legal licenses), Bongs :lol:.

While I don't think that recording anyone with their permission is illegal, doing anything else with it (selling, giving away, replaying,) probably is.

Lone Wolf
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It's usually a good idea to read a program's user guide. This is from the CompuHost user manual.

WARNING: It is unlawful to record copywritten material without the copyright holders' express permission. Failure to obtain said permission may result in criminal and/or civil prosecution.

Looks like they did do their research.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

It even says that when you click on the autorecord box.
I know about it though I have never used it because I own a copy of Compuhost.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Karaoke songs are unique because they involve two copyrights.

One from the original writer of the song and one for the karaoke company for the word sweep.

Showing the word sweep would be a violation.