Bar Owner's Concern...

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Bar Owner's Concern...

Post by Bigdog »

The guy in charge of hiring (not the owner) has let me know they want me there on another night. Should start in two weeks.

We originally discussed doing an oldies karaoke show, which he was really excited about. His relative (owner) isn't too bright (IMO) :lol: :oops:

Doesn't seem to like the idea. He feels we should do what we are doing on the other night. :(

There is an "anything goes" karaoke right across the parking lot on the night they want to add. I would rather not attract any of that crowd to my night. Also many people (singers) have already said they would love to be here for an oldies night. My crowd not the across the parking lot crowd.

The hiring guy has a major concern about the new night regardless of what format we choose.

He wants to know what I will do if nobody is there. :lol: We previously discussed whether I would DJ and KJ. To which I replied no, I don't do both.

I will do what I do and have done from the get go. Once the music starts someone will sing every song whether it's me or someone else. There will be no filler or dance sets. This isn't my first rodeo. :shock:

I think he started working there after I started the first night so he doesn't know who he is talking to... :mrgreen: But he has been there on many nights to see my nonstop karaoke show. I don't understand his concern.

The only thing I think is....it's his a$$ on the line if I fail. :lol:

Hey...anything could happen with a new night. I'm great .. 8) but as of yet .....I can't bring anyone back to life.... :shock: :lol: I'm working on it. :lol:

One more thing...I have to resurrect a night that another KJ is currently killing....no wonder he's worried....And he's not the first killing KJ on that night. :shock: :shock: Try 2-3. :oops: :oops:

If anyone can save the night...I would pick me. :shock: .but I hate the pressure of being Superman everytime, after a bunch of idiots.

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

No you don't. You love the pressure ... you LIVE for the pressure! Not only that, it will give you another feather to put in your cap. :P

I like the idea of an oldies night. It might even bring some folks in from across the street that don't really like the "anyting goes". At the very least it would be something to differenciate between the two bars. I think it would certainly be worth a try. Does the owner have to agree to it or can you and the manager just make the decision?
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

U..u..u..nder p.p..p.p.ressure :shock:

The superman thing is the reason I switched jobs at my real job after 20 years. I got sick of being "super" everyday....I just wanted to be normal once in a while. :D It's hell when you're good. :mrgreen:

I could probably do it...but if I would fail....then what????

Now normally whenever you start karaoke on a different night even if they do it 6 nights a week...it's still like starting a bar that never had karaoke. You now need to find..people that are already committed to other things and other bars, to want to be where you are on that night.

I expect the junkies to maybe come on the other night, but that's not enough to make a good night. So it will be dependant on a totally new group of people. This job is 30 miles from my house. When I started before I knew nobody...I (hope) can do it again.

Normally you can expect singers to come to a new place to check it out. I expect nobody from any other job to drive that far.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Did you ever see how many feathers are in the indians big chief's head dress that drags the ground??? Mine has a bridal train and 2 brides maids to carry it. :oops:

I also have a Big Bird costume.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Why doesn't any of your last post surprise me? :lol:

Don't you work this same bar on a different night? Let your regulars know you will be there are a new night ... they should come out to support you. If you have an oldies night, it might draw the "good" folks from the bar across the street.

You know you'll make a go of it. Why are you worried?

Do you wear your Big Bird costume when you do family shows? I want a picture!! :P
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I worry because the word is already out about the sucky karaoke on the night they want to give me. I could be confused as the "sucky" guy. :evil:

I had a policy years ago that I would quit if they hired another KJ for any other night. Because of what I call the "Guilt by Suckuation."

If I do Tuesday and the place is packed and they hire someone else to do Friday and it sucks, the word spreads that the "KJ" sucks at So & Sos. They may not know there are two KJs working there. So my night could suffer.

It's easier to start a brand new job than to follow jerks. No pre-suckuation to deal with and over comer. :cry: :roll:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

"Pre-suckuation". I like that word.

It is most certainly easier to start brand new. When you do your show at this location, do you mention the other karaoke nights and who the KJ's are?

I know exactly when my favorite KJ is going to be working and when he isn't because it is always mentioned during the show. The other KJ does the same thing. They advertise the other karaoke nights at the bar. This doesn't happen in your area?

I would mention that it is a new night for you several times during the show. I'd even go as far as asking the folks there to mention to their friends that there is a new karaoke host in town and please spread the word.

I've heard people complain about KJ's but usually it is "the Thursday night KJ" or such if there is more than one night.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I've heard people complain about KJ's but usually it is "the Thursday night KJ" or such if there is more than one night.

You just proved my point.

I'm going to be the (new) Thursday KJ and everyone will think I'm the one that sucks. Because they won't come back and the word will just keep on spreading.

This is my delemma. (Pre) Suckulation...I suck because I'll be there on the Thursday night in question. The guy that sucks will be gone and I'll be the one everyone thinks he was. :?

I always announce my night. But I can't announce that I'm the new guy,...not the one that sucks. :lol:

It's a psychological thing I do that I can't talk about. But it works pretty well.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

You don't think you can announce something along the lines of ...

Hey! I'm so glad you came out to support the show since this was my first time working on a Thursday night.

What's wrong with letting folks know you are new to the night?
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

That is great, except only the people there will know. The ones that stopped coming won't.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You have said already...If you don't like a show for whatever reason, you get up and leave and won't return.

I would assume part of that would include telling your friends about the sucky KJ.

Bad news travels twice as fast as good news. You will tell 100 people you got screwed. You tell 2 people about good things.

Suckulation....happens...it's a real condition.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

You have valid points. Which is why it is important that you get the word out that the sucky KJ is no longer there. I'd even be tempted to put a sign out front advertising that fact.
Sabrina the Cat
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

That could happen just about anywhere you wanted to get a gig, if another KJ had a gig there before and he sucked and got axed and you took over the general populace will still think that karaoke at XYZ sucks because they don't know a new KJ is there. Need some posters or something that announces UNDER NEW KARAOKE HOST or something to that effect like they do when a bar or store axes a current manager and puts up the signs UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT. Many time a manager or bar tender will drive off customers as will a bad KJ. Heck send someone that you know over the the other place across the parking lot and have them tell customers that there is a new KJ working across the lot and he's great.

just my 2 cents worth
Lone Wolf
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

I'm on the same page as Lone..... Deal with it! Be happy they want you
another night. Get the word out as if you were starting at a new venue. I'm sure your current folowers will support you and help spread the "new night" news.
Get excited Bigdog!!!!!!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Some ting wong.... :shock:

The manager was supposed to tell me when they wanted me to start already...

In the meantime they have brought in a new manager. It's a franchise.
The owner can still own the place, but he won't be around. :?

The new manager will be there. I smell something funny. :roll: There was also a big corporate meeting they had to go to in New York.

Sounds like corporate didn't like how the place was being managed. And there seems to be some problem about me doing Saturday night. Could have something to do with the 50,000 flyers they mailed out advertising the DJ on Saturday. (Remember I don't DJ) I told the manager they didn't have anything to worry about. If they put up a sign on the front door saying they have changed the Saturday entertainment and we are sorry for any inconvenience. And if someone would actually complain they could give them a complientary drink or something. I would expect them to not have to give away anything because I don't think anyone would ever flip out over it.

Last night I get there and start taking in my stuff and there is some type of a goofy looking thing hanging on the wall right where I set up. It's sticking out from the wall about 8 inches. Meaning now I have to set up further out into the room. The new manager comes by and asks me if it's in the way...??? :evil: I ask him what is it???? It's a jukebox. Looks kinda like a flat screen TV only it's up and dowm not sideways. Nothing on the front except a dollar bill sucker. I assume it's all touch screen and I think he said something about showing videos ....It's not hooked up yet but I can see it being a big pain in my ....whenever I'm setting up and tearing down and some yahoo wants to play music.

I wish just once someone would consult someone that knows anything before they start crapping up my area. Never fails some yahoo always messes with the only place I can set up with something stupid. Nothing makes more money for that bar than I do. Not some jukebox that could have gone somewhere else.

Also last night there were a few people shooting darts. Everytime the guy didn't get the dart where he wanted it he yelled out a big F bomb. Nice distraction in a family bar while people are singing. :shock: It's the reason I want the dart boards/pool tables closed whenever I play.

And one possible ray of light moment. Had several new people in and I made sure they all had fun. And there was a girl that works in a bar down the road said they were looking for karaoke. I did some checking and it's a place I would work in. So we will see what happens with that. You never know...

I wonder what my Friday guy will say when they find out I'm down the road competing against their sucky Saturday KJ???? Oppps....they had there chance.