Non paying customers

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

Non paying customers

Post by DanG2006 »

Should I allow non paying customers to sing? My bar owner says no. How do I tell the nonpaying customer from the ones who spend money at the bar? I have come up with an idea taken off of a way that the creators of AUtoKDJ does it, but instead of purchasing a ticket for each song I am going to just allow the singer to purchase their first drink and then receive a ticket that entitles them to a spotin the rotation.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have enough work to do putting on my high quality show. Deciding who's drinking and how much they are spending is not my job.

My job is to provide karaoke. That is what I do.

It is not up to me to say to someone you are not singing because you are cheap. And CHEAP they are. But the bar owner should be the one to say drink or leave. NOT THE KJ.

First of all it will make you look like a jerk.

Second, it may get you beat up.

Third, it may get your equipment damaged.

No doubt that cheap customers are a pain. Everyone should pay for entertainment.

Your decision to sell tickets or do anything else will come back to bite you...let the bar owner do whatever he feels he needs to do and keep you out of it. It's his problem. Not yours.

I know you are going to say it could effect your pay or whether or not the bar owner may quit karaoke...but that is strictly his call.

I will never tell anyone they should be buying drinks. It's none of my business. My business is to provide karaoke and I don't care how much people spend or how good they sing or who they are related to. I will treat everyone there exactly the same.

In this economic climate and wth DUI laws getting more strict...I said this many years ago...draft beer, pop and bottled water need to cost the same amount...no exceptions. Especially during entertainment hours.

They want to pass a new law to put the DUI blow test car starter on all your registered vehicles for the first DUI offense. That should pretty much kill the drinking out business and if everyone only drinks pop or water with maybe one or 2 alcohol drinks...the bar business as we know it is going to change drastically. So if pop and water prices aren't equal to alcohol they will all go under.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If the bar lets them in, I'm letting them sing.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Dealing with the owner is my problem and this was a compromise between charging for each song sung, having a coverchage and my ticket idea.
A cover charge will turn away the nonsingers and the singers as the nonsingers don't see that they would be paying for entertainment and the singers would stop coming because they are the entertainment.
Paying a $1 to sing one song would only effect the singers.
again they are the entertainment so they won't see it fair that they should have to pay to sing.
With the ticket Idea No extra money would be required, just a purchase, whether it is a soda, mixed drink, shot or beer. It won't even be obvious unless they try to sign up without making a purchase.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

In a "sue" happy world could you be discriminating against them by not letting them sing because they are cheap?

Is it worth a lawsuit?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

by your theory, then bars can be sued all the time for throwing out non paying customers. Same deal here. Not worrried about lawsuit. I do have a right to say who sings and who doesn't.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

As a singer I would be at a different karaoke show, PERIOD.

You are taking a chance on ruining your reputation for the bar owners problem.

Do what you want but when you shoot yourself in the foot because of it don't cry to me about it.

I would never even think about that idea no matter if it meant losing the job. Pi$$$ off all your singers and you don't have a job anymore anyway...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Stupid idea from a bar owner that doesn't want to take control of his business.

You are going to be the big loser in all of this.

I would never take that chance or let a bar owner tell me to do it.

I'D WALK..... :wink:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If a "must buy a drink to sing" rule is enforced the KJ is going to take the blame and resentment for it. Better to simply have the bar charge everyone a cover charge in the amount of a typical drink price and then give them the first drink free.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Has anyone ever seen a cover charge for a karaoke show?

Never in 17 years.

I would never go to "any" karaoke show even if it was only a dollar.

Not even my own high quality show.

It's the principal.

Not the dollar.

Kiss the crowd and that job goodbye because it will shortly be dead. The competition is going to be a lot more crowded. :wink:

Dead in a month, that's my bet.

The bar owner is killing the karaoke and your reputation.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Sorry to say Dan, you are caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't see how you can be charged with enforcing that people must drink to be in the establishment, that's the bar's job. You're not a representative of the bar, you're a paid entertainer working for the bar. It's their job to make sure that only paying customers use their facility.

I've only seen a cover charge for Karaoke once and they did it like the comedy clubs do. They charged a $2 cover at the door. When you paid, you were given a chip for $2 off your first drink. It actually worked out really well. The only people who I can imagine having a problem with that would be the people that plan to drink water all night. Sorry, the bar pays for the entertainment of their customers. If you're not buying drinks or food from them, you're not a customer.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Maybe a large sign hanging in the bar that says

Karaoke is free for all paying customers, only.

or

No Suds, No Shirt, No Singing.

or

Cheap Free Water Drinking & One Drink Nursing Basturds Can't Sing Here.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

The power of suggestion is really all the kj has in regards to folks spending money. I've worked at places where a cover is charged but given back as a token to spend and it went over pretty decent. Teaming with the bartender and coming up with "karaoke drinks", promos, etc is also a viable option.

It's pretty tough as a kj to govern your shows based on how much money a person spends. Besides mentioning drink specials, bartender and wait staff's name. what else can you do.

I believe its the manager's and staff's job at the venue I'm playing to assure everyone is patronizing their establishment. I am trying to run a karaoke show and make sure that most enjoy themselves.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

If the owner is complaining that some that sing are not drinking then it is up to him to either tell them they can't sing or tell them to leave. A bar is not really a public place and you can't just come in and get free entertainment and if that's the way he wants to run it then it's his problem not yours.

If you tell them they must drink to sing and then they go out and get into an accident guess who is going to get "SUED" along with the owner because YOU told them they had to drink.

If the person wants to come in and just drink water then tell the bar owner to stock bottled water and have the person pay for that.

If the owner really pushes the subject then I think that I would be looking for another venue.

Lone Wolf
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The words nonpaying customers is misleading I guess. I have the right as the owner of the bar to limit my services to customers. People who don't buy are not customers and they are who we want to get rid of.
I've thought and thought over what has been said and come to the conclusion that my ticket idea is the only fair way of doing this.
I am not encouraging people getting drunk because it only has to do with the first drink and it can be soda if that is what they want to drink. The ones already paying for their drinks aren't going to go away because it doesn't add any extra cost to their drinks or their stay there. The only ones who might get upset are the ones we don't want in the first place.