Do you use props at your shows?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
spotlightjr

Do you use props at your shows?

Post by spotlightjr »

Just curious to see how the rest of you guys and gals feel about props. I personally love them! They add quite a bit to my shows. From blow-up guitars and trumpets, to tambourines and moraccas, to pimp, cowboy, and straw hats, to willie nelson wigs and lighted boas. I know.... its bad! Thats only about 25% of what I use.

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Actually it sounds like you put on a fun show! Do you use these yourself or have them available for everyone to use? How do you keep them from walking away?

Welcome to the forum. :D
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

If its a girl I can usually coax her into wearing whatever, My wife does the shows with me so she gets the guys going. Its really fun and it kinda lightens things up. We always take pictures and post them on our website. Most of our clientele appreciate it and I think it makes them sing better.
I know thats sounds weird but I really believe they get more relaxed and dont take getting up on stage so seriously as some do.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I'm a firm believer in doing what works for you. We each have our own shows and run them in a way that fits our personality. For me, no I don't use props. I have seen it done and toy'ed with the idea of it but realized that the way I work my shows, it just wouldn't fit. Sounds like for you it's a good fit and works well so I say keep on doing it!!
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

At one time I entertained the idea of injecting real insrtuments as props. I bought a used Sax, Snare drum, Guitar and some smaller things. All of them are still in the cellar.

I attarct a more serious, more talented crowd than most. So just as someone involved in a loud conversation near the singers can be very annoying, so to could be the banging of noise makers or other distractions.

So I never went through with it. The less singer distractions the better.
LarryKaraoke

Post by LarryKaraoke »

My audience is soo mixed. They mostly seem to love it when I walk around playing my mic like a guitar or trumpet, but a few give me dirty looks when they sing. Problem is, the ones that love it would want to join in if I had other toys. So could be a problem in the making. But I think I'm gonna get one blow-up guitar and try it...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The biggest problem would be the clown getting more attention and applause than the singer. Now you have a mad singer on your hands. Then everyone else that sings see this happen and the whole crowd could leave and not come back.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Ive never had a problem with people getting upset if someone grabs an air guitar or sax. Its all in fun and I am the one that instigates it. If a prima donna gets up and is all serious then I'll leave them be. I think most of my audiences know how I run a show and look forward to my goofy shenanigans.
It doesnt work every time but certainly most of the time. Cameras always break out and people are smiling for pictures and having a blast. That's exactly what I'm trying to bring. A fun, fast-paced karaoke show where people arent taking themselves or others so seriously.
I mean singing Takin' care of business is a fun time but imagine singing it with a pimp hat and afro wig on wrapped up in a lighted pink boa holding on to an air guitar to do your solo when the guitar rif comes up....... AWESOME!!!!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I had a very good singer bring a tambourine with him to shows. And he would bang on it for every song. Only because he is really into music.

People would give him dirty looks. Their reaction was not a good one.

For the most part, my singers want no distractions during their performance.

I can see where it could easily get out of hand from someone that thinks they are going to be the clown entertainment all night long.

Just last night a drunk guy...not a singer was trying to be a hot dancer. Doing his gyrations to everyones song. Most people were pretty disgusted with him very quickly. He was getting obnoxious. The bouncer had some words with him after he kept on bothering some girls that clearly were not interested in him in the least.