External USB Sound Card

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
garyoke.tosti

External USB Sound Card

Post by garyoke.tosti »

Can anyone tell me what is the best external sound card is.

Thank You

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I use the behringer U-Contol 202 for my external soundcard. Works great.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
garyoke.tosti

Sound Card Info

Post by garyoke.tosti »

Thanks for your help, I'll try it

gary
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I am using the internal one on my Dell and it's fine.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

BigDog, not all internal soundcards are created equal. The lower the cost of the laptop,the cheezier the sound is. I was getting a buzz in my sound system when I was using the onboard sound in m laptop. When I switched sound cards to an external one the Buzz went away.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

That is the exact reason people should not try to do karaoke on a shoe string. Whenever I buy anything for my karaoke business, the last thing I look for is the cheapest "anything" to buy just to say I have it. Not saying I don't look for bargins or sales. I don't pick out the cheapest model of any piece of equipment.

I spent all the money required to buy the best of everything Dell had to offer in the laptops (2 one for backup) I selected.

I can point to 99% of my competition and show you crap-tacular cheap karaoke setups that I wouldn't put in my basement, let alone go begging to get paid with it.

It's the reason I enjoy my high status and they fight for the lowly positions.

Back to the buzz, I had some system noise that was eliminated with various electronic devices that are made to isolate ground loops in the audio and video wiring. Most of this "noise" comes from hooking up to the bar TVs. MCM Electronics has a nice selection of these. I also use one from Radio Shack.

Just unhooking the main coax feeding the TV, whenever I hook my wire to it eliminates a ground loop. It happens in some bars and others are fine.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Buzz in a sound card on a laptop is actually common in both cheap and more expensive units. Most commonly that buzz is interference from the hard drive motor (I found this out after a lot of research). Remember, the sound card in a laptop is meant to have one of two output sources. Either the internal speakers or a set of headphones. Therefore, poor signal to noise ratios are considered acceptable. Those devices aren't typically designed to be connected to a high power sound reinforcement rig.

That said there are laptops specifically designed for hi-fidelity media. Additionally, with some searching you can find a simple laptop that does not have noise issues, some of it is just a crap shoot.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Any laptop the has interference noise from a hard drive coming through the sound card would indicate a cheap piece of crap, with inferior electronic components.

Test every laptop you intend to buy for this noise.

You are better off buying the best laptop you can buy the first time, instead of buying a cheap one and then upgrading the entire thing.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Since I have the fix already, I see no reason to spend extra money for something that does the job already. I come from the theory that if the user is any good, he can make any system sound like state of the art that you would pay big bucks for. I have a friend who went out and purchased his sytem using the same attitude that Bigdog claims to have done and he got pissed off when I stole one of his shows not because I charged less- actually I charged them the same as he did, but because my system which I spent less for sounded better than his.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I see the same thing in every bar owner.

Just because you have the money to own anything doesn't mean you know how to run/operate it.

I'll take you job and charge more. I have never undercut any KJ to get a job. I get the call because their current KJ sucks. Usually it's from a crap system, built on a shoe string budget that sounds like something out of a Craker Jacks box. Once in a while it's because the KJ is a jerk and doesn't know how to run a successful karaoke business. Had the money to put some crap together but didn't know what to do after that. 99% of my competition falls into 1 or both of these catagories.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep working while you can't keep a job. :lol:

Look at NASCAR. They had to regulate the entire sport because you need lots of money to compete. The big sponsored cars were always winning. The cheap teams without big money couldn't keep up with the big dogs. So to make it more fair, the rules made it fair for every budget.

Well karaoke ain't NASCAR and the nicest systems with the most knowledgeable KJs win. Shoe stringers become the worlds best undercutters. I can point to hundreds of them. I'm surrounded by them. Look for me at the finish line.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Actually I didn't steal his show - He gave it to me. Turns out he didn't want to deal with the patrons. I have had no problems dealing with any of the people aside from nonsingers wanting more dance music than I choose to play. I only play dj music if I have like 5 singers singing. Haven't had that low a number since March. I get at least 20 different singers a night and they keep coming back So I must be doing something right with my shoe string budget for equipment. Now I am not running Radio Shack componants but I am not runnong Mackie, which seems to be the standard in my area. Been to their shows and I am not worried about them stealing my shows because their KJ's know nothing about sound and their systems always sound bad.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Around here everyone wants to start a karaoke business as cheap as possible.

That works perfect for me because I know they don't know anything by the way they want to start out that way. Show me anything good that is the cheapest model you can buy. There are settle for items that most KJs love to use. The old it's good enough for karaoke attitude. Your attitude determines your altitude.

Their sound reflects this. These are the same people that play favorites to keep any customers at all. (Which, by the way bar owners kills any chance of your karaoke night growing to it's full potential. And it actually chases customers away.) So keep hiring that cheap stupid KJs.

I have one down the road that is doing a GONG show. That's a good bar business killer. As a KJ, she should know better but she's stupid and cheap too. Sends her dad out to other karaoke nights to prospect for singers because she can't draw any.

As far as using Mackies, I hate them but they are the only choice left that has a model I can use to fit in my box.

This thread has gone way off track SORRY... :oops:

I like my good internal one. If it does have any short comings my good system can eliminate them.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I run the only fair rotation in the area. I take the songs as I get them and the new singers go to the bottom of the rotation.